Main Street Station - Historic Railroad Station (Richmond, VA)
Built in 1901 and designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1976, Main Street station is located in the heart of Richmond City. The original building was designed in a Second Renaissance Revival style in 1898, by famous railroad experts from the Philadelphia firm Wilson, Harris and Richards.
The station has been completely renovated and re-purposed over three phases of construction since 2003. AKF provided MEP / FP design and construction administration services for all three phases of the development, and provided commissioning services during the phase three construction.
Phase one and two included renovating the 20,000 SF station head-house, 156 parking spaces, a new 500-foot track platform on the eastern side of the station; central plant expansion and renovation of HVAC, plumbing / fire protection, and electrical systems on the western side; and public art inside and outside of the station. Security and sound systems were added as well.
Phase three of the redevelopment included retrofitting, upgrading, and expanding existing platforms, stabilizing the structure, creating a transit hub for Zipcars, electric vehicle charging stations, and rental and storage areas for bicycles, scooters, and Segway. Phase three also included the interior renovation of the train shed, a steel and glass expansion that is two football fields in length, intended for events and gatherings.